02 May 2017

Arizona's canyons and cinder cones

After backpacking for a night in the Petrified Forest, the rest of my time in northern Arizona was a bit of a whirlwind of short visits to a couple of other NPS and BLM sites including Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument, the south rim of the Grand Canyon, Walnut Canyon National Monument, and BLM land near Kingman for wildflowers.

Sunset Crater Volcano is a small monument located just a short distance north of Flagstaff. It features a black and brick red cinder cone that erupted less than a thousand years ago, and an older and shorter volcano. The smooth slopes of the mountain are lightly forested.

View of Sunset Crater Volcano from the west.

The Grand Canyon is of course world famous, though this was my first time ever visiting the park. I didn’t leave much time in my schedule at all that day, so my visit consisted of a few stops at lookout points along the south rim. The canyon is immense, although I’m not sure I was as impressed with the view as I was with the view from Canyonlands NP the week prior in Utah.

Fisheye view of the Grand Canyon from Moran Point on the south rim.
Walnut Canyon.

Walnut Canyon National Monument is another small NPS unit in the Flagstaff area. A canyon several hundred feet deep winds through the area with grey and beige colored striated rock forming the walls of the canyon. Like Mesa Verde and Bandelier, the canyon contains Ancestral Pueblo cliff dwellings which form one of the main attractions of the site. The canyon floor, slopes, and tops of the mesas are forested with juniper, pinyon pine, and Douglas fir. Banana yucca and Opuntia cacti were common.

En route to southern California, my last Arizona adventures were in the Kingman area in the northwest part of the state. Some distance east of Kingman along Interstate 40 I began to notice abundant wildflowers as I was driving, including the orange flowers of desert mallow. So, in Kingman I stopped at the BLM office to scope out some potential places to wander around and I ended up exploring a little along the western slope of the Hualapai Range. I found a diversity of plants in bloom and collected a few small specimens to press in a book. Farther along I40, south of Kingman, I also discovered blooming ocotillo, one of my favorite desert plants. Growing in tall scraggly tufts from the ground, this species cannot be missed even from a fast-moving car, and even less so when it shows off its fiery red flowers.

Left: Forested volcanic field on a slope just west of Sunset Crater Volcano. Right: Bright yellow lichens colonizing volcanic rock.
Whiptail lizard at Walnut Creek National Monument.
Cliff Dwellings at Walnut Canyon. Unfortunately early explorers and collectors damaged many of the dwellings in this area, including using dynamite to knock down the ancient walls.
Colorado River at Grand Canyon National Park from
Desert View on the south rim.

No comments:

Post a Comment